NEW WEBSITE CAN BE FOUND HERE!
What should I do in case of sexual assault?
1. Find a safe environment away from the attacker. Ask a trusted friend or family member to stay with you for moral support.
2. Know that what happened was not your fault and that now you should do what is best for you.
3. Report the attack to police by calling 911.
- To preserve evidence of the attack, don't bathe or brush your teeth.
- Write down all the details you can remember about the attack and the attacker.
- Get medical attention.
- To preserve forensic evidence, ask the hospital to conduct a rape kit exam.
- If you suspect you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected.
Seek extra help:
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- More National Centers
Texas sexual assault resources:
We'd like to tank the good folks at Schuerman Insurance Services for their continuing support of our cause.
4. If you know that you will never report, there are some things you should still consider:
- Get medical attention even if you have no apparent physical injuries. STDs and pregnancy are a factor to consider.
- Call any Sexual Assault Hotline for help.
5. Recognize that healing from rape takes time, make sure to allow yourself the time you need to heal.
6. Know that it's never too late to call, even if the attack happened a long time ago.
For the best rates on car insurance visit http://www.carinsuranceforcheap.com
Domestic Violence checklist?
- When an argument occurs, go to a safe place with easy exit. Avoid rooms with no exits (i.e. bathroom), or rooms with possible weapons (kitchens, garages).
- Make a list of people that can keep you safe.
- Keep money on you at all times.
- Memorize all important numbers - phone, etc.
- Tell your friends and family of a "code word" you will use in case you call for help.
- Think about what you will say to your partner if violence erupts.
Our dear friend Joanna is getting married. We've received in the mail the most beautiful wedding invitations I've ever seen - these "Dressed to the Nines" invitations were truly
elegant. I have to say, Joanna and Mark really have taste. We wish them both the best.
Our good friend Jane moved to Rhode Island last March, and we just went to visit her in Cumberland this past July. This town is in the northern part of the state and is a beautiful and peaceful place - good choice Jane. We'll definitely go back
to RI in the near future.
How often does sexual assault occur?
In 2007, there were 248,300 victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault (these figures do not include victims 12 years old or younger.)
That comes out to 1 sexual assault every 127 seconds, or about 1 every 2 minutes.